Skip links

Variety of VISA

If you start thinking to work in japan, we hope you know about a variety of visa in japan.  

There are many types of visas you may be possible to get.  

According to the Japanese Embassy website, seven big sorts of working visas exist. Here we introduce about following a variety of working visas which focus on the job.  

  • Highly skilled professional visa
  • Working visa  
  • Start-up visa 
  • Diplomatic visa
  • Official visa 

Let’s see more specific detail.   

Highly skilled professional visa  

To gain this kind of visa, you should be recognized as highly-skilled foreign professionals.  

To be recognized as highly-skilled foreign professionals, you should reach a certain number (70 points) under a points-based system.  

Whoever got over 70 points is granted to get the following seven preferential immigration treatments.  

▽ Permission for multiple activities during the stay in Japan 
▽ Grant of the “5 years” period of stay 
▽ Relaxation of requirements for a grant of permission for permanent residence concerning the period of stay in Japan 
▽ Permission for the spouse of the highly-skilled foreign professional to work 
▽ Permission for bringing the parent(s) to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions 
▽ Permission for a domestic worker to accompany the highly-skilled foreign professional to Japan under certain conditions 
▽ Preferential processing of entry and residence procedures 

What’s a “points-based system”?  

The activities of the highly-skilled foreign professionals are classified into the following three categories:  

 1) Advanced academic research activities「Highly-Skilled Professional(i)(a)」 
 2) Advanced specialized/technical activities「Highly-Skilled Professional(i)(b)」 
 3) Advanced business management activities「Highly-Skilled Professional(i)(c)」 

According to characteristic features of each category of the activities, points are set to each item, such as “academic background,” “professional career,” “annual salary,” and “research achievements.”   

You are evaluated by adding up your points and making reference to the category of activity that you intend to engage in.  

Now you can calculate your having points and estimate future points you will gain.  
→  go to calculation application

Working visa  

a. Professor (Examples: university professor, assistant professor, assistant, etc.) 
a. Artist (Examples: composers, songwriters, artists, sculptors, craftspeople, photographers, etc.) 
a. Religious activities (Examples: religious people such as monks, bishops, missionaries, etc.) 
a. Journalist (Examples: newspaper journalists, magazine journalists, editors, news cameramen, announcers, etc.) 
a. Business manager (Examples: company presidents, directors, etc.)
a. Legal/Accounting services (Examples: attorneys, judicial scriveners, public accountants, tax accountants, etc. certified in Japan) 
a. Medical services (Examples: physicians, dentists, pharmacists, nurses, etc. certified in Japan) 
a. Researcher (Examples: researchers, investigators, etc. at research institutes, etc.) 
a. Instructor (Examples: teachers, etc. at elementary schools, intermediate schools and high schools) 
a. Engineer/Specialist in humanities/International services (Examples: scientific engineers, IT engineers, foreign language teachers, interpreters, copywriters, designers, etc.) 
a. Care workers (Examples: Certified Care Worker, etc.) 

b. Intra-company transferee (Examples: people transferred to the Japanese branch (head office of the same company, etc.) 
b. Skilled labor (Examples: chefs specializing in the food of a foreign country, animal trainers, pilots, sports trainers, sommeliers, etc.) 

c. Entertainer (Examples: musicians, actors, singers, dancers, sportspeople, models, etc.) 

d. Specified skilled worker (Work-ready foreign nationals who possess certain expertise and skills in certain industrial fields.) 

e. Technical intern training (Examples: Technical intern) 

▶︎Period of Stay  

Type a. 5 years, 3 years, 1 year, 4 months (only for Business manager) or 3 months
Type b. 5 years, 3 years, 1 year or 3 months
Type c. 3 years, 1 year, 6 months, 3 months, or 15 days
Type d. (i): 1 year, 6 months or 4 months / (ii): 3 years, 1 year or 6 months
Type e. 1 year, 6 months or a designated period of less than 1 year

Start-up visa  

 Start-up (Entrepreneur supported by municipalities in Japan and the spouse or children of the entrepreneur.) 

  ▶︎Period of Stay  

  6 months

Diplomatic visa  

 Diplomat (Examples: diplomatic agents, diplomatic couriers, etc.) 

 Activities on the part of constituent members of diplomatic missions or consular offices of foreign governments hosted by the Government of Japan, activities on the part of those who are provided with similar privileges and/or immunities as are given to diplomatic missions under treaties or international customary practices, and the activities on the part of their family members belonging to the same household. 

  ▶︎Period of Stay  

  For the length of “During mission”

Official visa  

 Official (Examples: administrative and technical staffs of diplomatic missions and members of the service staff, etc.) 

 Activities on the part of those who engage in official business of foreign governments or international organizations recognized by the Government of Japan, and activities on the part of their family members belonging to the same household (excludes the activities described in the section on diplomatic visas). 

  ▶︎Period of Stay  

  5 years, 3 years, 1 year, 3 months, 30days or 15 days

Notes for the readers:
Please use this article only as a reference, not as a legal guideline. Therefore, will take no responsibility or liability, so far as legally possible, for any consequences of your actions.

This article is written in December 2019.

This website uses cookies to improve your web experience.